Can I represent my LLC in Arizona Justice court?

Phoenix, AZ |
Filed under: Litigation

I am not so sure the prior answer is correct. The practice of law in Arizona is regulated by the Arizona Supreme Court. If you read Arizona Supreme Court Rule 31(b) is states:

(b) Authority to Practice. Except as hereinafter provided in section (d), no person shall practice law in this state or represent in any way that he or she may practice law in this state unless the person is an active member of the state bar.

The key here is to check whether there is an exemption in Section D for your situation. Rule 31(d)(3) provides:

3. An officer of a corporation or a managing member of a limited liability company who is not an active member of the state bar may represent such entity before a justice court or police court provided that: the entity has specifically authorized such officer or managing member to represent it before such courts; such representation is not the officer's or managing member's primary duty to the entity, but secondary or incidental to other duties relating to the management or operation of the entity; and the entity was an original party to or a first assignee of a conditional sales contract, conveyance, transaction or occurrence that gave rise to the cause of action in such court, and the assignment was not made for a collection purpose.

Depending on your particular situation, you may be able to meet the exemption. Take a look at the rules and, if you are unsure, ask the Court. Justice Courts are usually very good at helping answer these types of procedural questions.

This answer is for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising.

2. No, not if you're not a lawyer.

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU COMMENT, EMAIL ME OR PHONE ME. I'm only licensed in CA. This answer doesn't make me your lawyer, and neither do follow-up comments and/or emails and/or phone calls --- we need an actual agreement confirmed in writing before any attorney-client relationship is formed. Please don't expect me to respond to your follow-up queries. This answer doesn't constitute legal advice, and shouldn't be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

3. I agree with Mr. Jabbar's answer. Please note that in the exception to the rule he cited it uses AND and not OR. This means that your situation must meet ALL of the conditions listed in the exception, not just a few of them.

The information provided above does not constitute legal advice and should not be relied on for anything other than informational purposes. This communication does not create a lawyer-client relationship.

Litigation topics