Can I report a verbal threat if I was the only witness to it?

Asked over 1 year ago - Sparta, WI

I am the victim of domestic violence with my ex boyfriend whom I share 2 children. We are currently going through a custody battle. He called me on the phone and told me I will bring his children to him or he was going to beat the crap out of me. I hung up, and when he called back my boyfriend answered the phone. He told my boyfriend he was going to shoot him with a 12 guage. Should I report this to the police? Noone else heard the threats besides us.

1. Gregory J. Jerabek

Pro

3

Answered . Yes you should report these threats immediately.

2. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

2

Answered . If you believe him capable of doing either, you should report the threats. You should further seek a domestic violence / restraining order against him as soon as possible.

Be aware that lying to police is a crime and that you will not likely be able to take back anything you say. Once police are involved it is out of your hands. I am NOT doubting you. However, I have seen situations where one party lies to get an advantage and can't take it back when things get out of hand. If you are afraid, you need to report this, now.

3. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

1

Answered . Report the threats. Ask him to stop contacting you. Keep a log/diary of each time he calls/texts you if he doesn't stop so that you can prove harassment. This information may be important in the future if you need to seek a protective order.