Skip to main content

Can I reopen my chapter 7 bankruptcy that discharged in December 2011 to add debt that I was just made aware of?

Chatsworth, CA |

I filed my bk in Sep 2011 and it was discharged Dec 2011 but I just learned of debt that I allegedly incurred prior to the filing date. The debt is an alleged overpayment from the Welfare Department and I want to know if I can reopen my bk and if that is debt that can be discharged. I received a phone call this morning and was advised that I owe approximately $1,756 (from 10/09 thru 8/10) but never received any notices and do not have anything in writing to support the alleged debt. Thank you for your assistance!

Attorney Answers 3


Yes, it is called a motion reopen your case. You should have no problem with the Judge granting your motion. It is done on a regular basis.

Jonathan Leventhal, esq.
Leventhal Law Group, P.C.

NO EX-PARTE NOTICE VIA VOICE MAIL OR EMAIL: I do not accept e-mail notice for ex parte Applications via voicemail or by email. You must comply with California Law and give notice to a person in my office during regular business hours.

This email and any attachments thereto may contain private, confidential, and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any attachments thereto) by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any attachments thereto.

Leventhal Law Group, P.C. is a Debt Relief Agency under federal law.

Note: The Leventhal Law Group, P.C. does not reprenet you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and a representative of the Leventhal Law Group, P.C. and all fees listed in the agreement have been paid.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


If it was a no asset case, then you may not have to reopen at all.

You should contact your attorney to see what she thinks is best.

If you don't have one, I highly recommend you get one but you may be able to send them a letter telling them about the bk and that all pre-petition debts were discharged. See if they react and take it from there. Most creditors don't want to spend money to get nothing.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Yes, you can file a motion to reopen your Chapter 7 bankruptcy. However, if yours was a "no asset" Chapter 7, you may not have to reopen at all. Provide the debtor with a copy of your discharge.

Frank W. Chen is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics