Skip to main content

Can I rent a house on a B1/B2 visa, open a bank account without requiring Residency, but complying with the law?

Washington, DC |

Good day,
I am Dutch Citizen and I have a B1/B2 visa, expiry 2022; I work overseas for a Dutch international company;
I enjoying spending time as a visitor in the USA but prefer to be renting (or even purchasing and sub-renting a part of) a house/apartment instead of staying in hotels all the time.
I have a girlfriend in USA so I visit her a lot, but I do not reside in the USA, because my work location is overseas (Panama). Once I was "interrogated" by CBP at the airport of residing in the USA, which I don't. I am not very familiar with the definitions of Resident or Non-Resident, but I read something about being classified as Resident Alien if you are more 183 years over 3 years in the USA, which I haven't been.

Attorney Answers 8

  1. You can rent a house and you can also have a bank account on the B-2. If you come into the United States a lot BCP is going to question your intent. You are permitted to visit but not work or have the intent to stay as an immigrant. 183 days is a definition Of resident for tax purposes. I suggest carrying a letter from your employer showing you work And live in Panama. When you come into the United States.

  2. You could be refused admission as a B-2 visitor if your ties to the US are too extensive.

  3. Yes, if you do not work or overstay.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  4. You are walking on thin ice.

    I recommend that you meet with an attorney to improve your knowledge of our laws.

    For example, your 183 day issue relates to taxes, not immigration status.

    Many of us use Skype. Thus, you should be able to meet/talk easily.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  5. If you rent or purchase property in the US you may damage your ability to re-enter as a visitor to the US as it will demonstrate an intent to remain in the US and not return to your country.

    The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

  6. Yes, but having US accounts is a factor in deciding whether to admit you to the US.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  7. While your intents are good. If the CBP becomes aware that you rent/own a house/apartment in the US, you may have to spend extended time at the port of entry explaining your situation.

    The information on this website is not intended to be legal advice.

  8. Yes, you can rent or purchase a property in the United States. Depending on your planned use of the property and how it will be titled, there are tax considerations to be aware of before you purchase and preliminary planning can save you a bunch. There are lenders who specialize in foreign national loans. In regards to the length of stay in the U.S. B-1\B-2 visitors are admitted to the U.S. for the certain length of time generally this is for a period of 6-months or less with the possibility of extension. The length of stay for a B-1\B-2 visitor cannot exceed one year.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics