Can I renounce my citizenship while on parole and be immune from prosecution if I fled the country?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Houston, TX

I hold a dual citizenship with another country. I was convicted of the crime of burglary of a habitation charge which was really a domestic dispute with my ex-wife. I stepped in her house to argue with her and because I was not given consent to enter her house I was charged with this crime. I have no prior record and have always been a law-abiding citizen up until this point. I lost everything and am on parole for 4-1/2 more years. I had always paid my child support up until my incarceration and now it has accumulated into thousands of dollars. I feel that besides being incarcerated I will have this felony label on my back making it difficult to find work and repay my child support debt. I have served my time and want to start life over free of drama and get back to a stable life.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Stephen D. Berman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . These are questions for a criminal defense attorney. I am not aware that fleeing the U.S. and renouncing citizenship can make one immune from prosecution, however speak with a criminal defense lawyer to get a definitive answer.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an... more
  2. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . This is not an immigration question talk to your criminal defense attorney.

    Franco Capriotti - Senior Immigration Counsel
    CAPRIOTTI INTERNATIONAL LAW -- 1-503-803-0055 --

    IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,257 answers this week

2,830 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,257 answers this week

2,830 attorneys answering