Can I renew expiring permanent green card if now divorced from US citizen?

Brea, CA |

I maintain my status but am currently residing outside of US? will there be any problem in renewing my permamnent green card? please help!

Hi hope that you are well. How long have you been outside of the US? I think the issue is not the divorce but how long you have remained outside of the country and weather they will consider your greencard to have been abandoned. Good Luck and best regards.

Thank you for your reply!!! I got married to a US citizen in 2000. Got my green card in 2003. divorced in 2005. I have maintained my green card by flying in US each year before the 1 year is over,stay for a few days and then go back again. Im am an only child and thats why was living outside US to be with my mom whom I cant leave alone. Now Im married to a guy who is not US citizen but we would like to settle in US soon. Is there any problem as sombody told me that my card wont be renewed as i stayed out of the country..please advice..as I need to fly back to US to apply for green card renewal....

I was here in US in Jan 2013 and currently outside the US.

That depends on how long you have been outside the US and whether you have a reentry permit.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Thank you. I come once a year to maintain my green card. Im married to a person who is not a US citizen thats why Im living outside of US. Is that usually a problem?

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Being outside the US for a lengthy period of time without a reentry permit can result in the loss of permanent residence.

THANK YOU for your prompt reply. The lengthy period of time is ?

I agree

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

Recommended articles about Immigration