Skip to main content

Can I remove the condition of my green card in case I get divorced?

Jacksonville, FL |

I'm married to an american citizen for 2 years and 7 months , I have a conditional green card, lately my wife is putting too much pressure on me , anything I say she threatens me with calling the immigration and get me deported , I can't take this no more I'd like to know my options, thank you so much in advance .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Divorce followed by filing to remove the conditions on your card with proof that you are divorced and entered into the marriage in good faith.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Camilo Andres Espinosa

Camilo Andres Espinosa


If your divorce is final (i.e., you have the divorce decree) by the time you have to file, then you can ask for a waiver of the joint filing requirements based on your divorce. As long as you can provide the normal proof of "good faith" marriage, you should be able to remove conditions and get a 10 year green card. It should be noted that the divorce must be final - you may be not able to ask for this waiver if you are separated or the divorce is still pending.



Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


You do not need to remain married for immigration purposes. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review your case, advise you as to the options available, and recommend how best to proceed.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.


In short, yes. You must be divorced, however (not just separated), and must be able to demonstrate (with documentary evidence, including tax returns) that the marriage was legitimate and entered into in good faith.

Please note, the above answer is for general informational purposes only. Please feel free to contact our firm should you be interested in scheduling a telephone, Skype or in-person consultation with me to discuss the specific details of your case. NEGRI, TORRES & FIGUEROA-CONTRERAS, PA, 2030 South Douglas Road, Suite 214, Miami, FL 33134, Tel. (305) 639-8599. Se habla español. Falamos português.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer