Can I remove neighbor's downed fence from my property? They want a brand new fence and me to help pay instead of repair.

Oklahoma City, OK |

Neighbor's downed fence was knocked down from his untethered playground equipment into my yard from the storm. They have not removed the fencing after several weeks and will not answer registered mail sent to them for verification or acknowledgement. They don't want to repair fence instead to put up a brand fence and me to pay half of more that $2200. My animals cannot access my back yard because of the full access and my back property is completely unprotected. I am retired and cannot afford this huge expense at this time. Am willing to pay for repairs but not a new fence.

You indicate that it is his fence....That is, the fence was constructed by him and was on his property. Is that correct? He is responsible for removal of the fence from your yard, but isn't likely bound by your desire to repair it. How old is the fence? How much would it cost you to put up a fence in your yard that would satisfy your need to contain your anomals?

You say he hasn't responded to registered mail, but somehow know he wants a new fence. Perhaps just sit down with him and work it out? If he doesn't want to do something that is acceptable to you, maybe ask him to remove his fence and you can put up one on your property to satisfy your needs.

The above is not intended to be legal advice, but may be used for general information. Please contact an attorney for specific help tailored to your needs. www.figgardenlaw.com