Can i remove my sons hypenated last name even though hes three years old?

Asked over 1 year ago - Bakersfield, CA

And would i have to go to court?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Cathleen Elisabeth Norton


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you want to change his legal name, then yes, you have to go to court.

    If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button or "Best Answer" at the... more
  2. Kristen Jane DeWitt-Lopez

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Unless there is an error on the birth certificate, you will need to go to Court. You will have to give the other parent notice of your request to change your son's name OR show the court that the other parent consents to the change/there is no other parent/the other parent has no parental rights.

    Kristen DeWitt-Lopez of DeWitt-Lopez Law, P.C. may be reached at 602.263.3900 during regular business hours, or... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,730 answers this week

3,181 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,730 answers this week

3,181 attorneys answering