Can i remove a epo filed againts my will? is there anythiong i can do to help drop the charges againts my bf. ?

Houston, TX |

my bf and i were drinking and that caused an argument . we both have tempers and the alcohol cause me to get angry and get physical with him. like any person would when they feel attacked he acted back and punched me. i called the cops and they didnt arrest him but they did file charges againts him. they issued a warrant and arrested him within a week when i tried to visit him in jail, they said we couldnt have any contact with each other because of a (epo) emergency protective order. is there anything i can do .. this is his second saault on a fam, mem. the prior one had nothing to do with me.

You already have advice from three fine Texas lawyers. I am chiming in because you cannot hire me, I have no axe to grind when I say he needs a lawyer. The charging decision is not yours, but the prosecutors. A restraining order cannot be entered without your request, but the police may have been talking about a mandatory no-contact order following an arrest or a bail condition and just mischaracterized it.

The prosecutors do have to listen to you, but they don't have to do what you want. They are not your lawyers.

I sincerely hope you will remember this for the rest of your life: do NOT call the police because you are mad at someone. Call the police if you are in danger. Once they are called you lose any control you might have had over your life.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com

--- Facebook Page
    http://www.facebook.com/CriminalDefenseMadTown

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police
    http://addbalance.com/police.htm

--- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)
    http://addbalance.com/miranda_rights.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

Click on the “more” link below for more important information about this answer and AVVO.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

2. He needs to be represented by a good lawyer. Once someone who knows what they are doing takes his case, they can help you attempt to cancel the magistrates order of emergency protection (MOEP). It will be up to the judge to rescind the order or any bond conditions he may be required to comply with. These rules would also include that he have no contact with you.

The DA will probably oppose this, and many judges will not rescind these orders. The DA will try to bait you in to talk to them by making you think they want your story to help them consider whether they will agree to have the "no contact" order removed. Talk with a good lawyer before you talk to the DA. I'm sure they have already called you. They usually try to get you pinned to a story within a couple of days of the arrest.

3. This is not a DIY project. A second offense family violence case is a felony in Texas. And, from what is given here, it looks like you may have criminal liability yourself.

Your place to start is with a consultation with a criminal defense lawyer for advice about YOUR situation and what you want to get done.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

4. Follow the sound advice by Mr. Pierce-Jones and Mr. Medley. Talk to an attorney before you DO anything.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at www.kevinmadison.com and www.texassexualharassmentattorney.com. Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at http://texassexualharassmentattorney.com/blog/