Skip to main content

Can I refuse DFCS from coming in my home?

Stone Mountain, GA |
Filed under: Family law

We had an incident w/ my 4 year old and the neighbors 4 year old they were in my care for about an hour, and had told the kids to stay in the backyard. Of course as children do sometime, they don't listen and left the yard and went to the neighbors 4 year old home for 30 mins. or so. I was busy and time got away. Mean while the neighbor girl answered the phone @ her house it was her grandmother, grand mother called the police now a week later DFCS is @ the neighbors house and now mine. Can I refuse them from entering my home. What parent has never lost time w/ their children? And since when is it a crime I am a stay @ home Mom and go to great lengths to be home w/ my children?

The kids were at the neighbors house alone for 30 mins.

Attorney Answers 3


Generally, you can prevent DFCS representatives from entering your residence. However, keep in mind that a court proceeding may be initiated (possibly by DFCS), and depending on how that were to go, you would have to allow them into your home for inspections, investigation, etc.. If any legal action has been taken re: your situation, I advise that you go ahead and speak with a family law attorney.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


I agree with Mr. Rice. In the event that DFCS attempts not only just entering your home but even so much as contacts you, you need to seek an attorney to deal directly with them. It would be unwise to deal with DFCS on your own as it is very easy to talk yourself in to trouble, but very rare that you can talk yourself out of it. You want someone who will respond to DFCS who is not as emotionally and physically involved in the situation as you are so that your responses do not become evidence that the Court uses against you.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You may be within your right to refuse to allow DFCS to come to your home, but doing so would be against your best interest. If you have nothing to be concerned about, then you should speak with them. Refusing to do so may give the impression that there is something you are trying to hide, may make this more of an issue than it needs to be, and/or may make it necessary for them to take the matter to court in order to close the open complaint. Think seriously about whether there would be any benefit to refusing to allow them to come in.

I hope this information helps answer your question(s).

~ Kem Eyo

The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship between the individual posting the question and the attorney providing the answer.

Mark as helpful

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics