Can I refinance an SBA loan with another lender?

San Diego, CA |

SBA wont refinance my loan and my business is failing and i need to refinance . I cant file for bankruptcy because i have a job paying 1990s year and own my own home that has an SBA lien .

It sounds as if you are in a difficult position. You likely are allowed to refinance - however, you must review your loan documents carefully to ensure you maintain compliance. Given your situation, you might find it difficult to refinance. Speak to a business bankruptcy attorney or a general business attorney in order to fully assess the facts of your situation.

The comments by this author to questions posted on Avvo are designed to foster a general understanding of what might be the law governing the area of the legal problem stated and suggest what might be the approach to finding a legal solution. Under no circumstances is this author acting as the attorney for the party who posted the question or as the attorney for subsequent readers to the question or response and no attorney client relationship is being formed. This attorney's comments are not intended to be a substitute for getting legal advice from a licensed attorney. A reader of this author's comments should never act on the information provided in these comments as though these comments were legal advice and should always seek legal advice in a personal consultation with an attorney in their jurisdiction before taking action. The information provided here is not intended to cover every situation with similar facts. Please remember that the law varies between states and other countries and is always changing through actions of the courts and the Legislature. In accordance with IRS regulations, I must inform you that any US tax advice contained in this message was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under federal tax law. By regulation, a taxpayer cannot rely on professional advice to avoid federal tax penalties unless that advice is reflected in a comprehensive tax opinion that conforms to strict requirements.

Check for any pre-payment penalties on the loan. Overall, it sounds like you need professional help with asset protection. There are hard money lenders also, but that is not usually recommended. Maybe some type of re-org plan? See for more info.

You need to review your loan documents. This is less of a legal matter, but more practical. You may want to discuss a refinance of the home, or equity line first. A working capital loan may be a challlenge with the SBA, but plausible. Also, confirm you actually gave the SBA lender a security interest on your residence. If so, it will also be tough to re-finance. Now, if its merely a personal guarantee only, then a re-finance becomes more possible. You need a good loan broker to work through this challenge.

This email does not create an Attorney-Client relationship.

Recommended articles about Real estate