Can I redact personal information in family law discovery responses?

I have to turn over a bunch of personal information to my spouse's attorney through discovery requests in my divorce case. Can I redact my social security number in tax statements and my bank account numbers on those statements?

No. Nor is there any reason to. Do you seriously think your spouse doesn't know the relevant social security number?

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

Tobie Brina Waxman

Tobie Brina Waxman

Actually there are a couple statutes here in California that require that ss# be redacted. California Rule of Court 1.20(b)(2); and CA Civil Code §1798.85

David Alexander Browde

David Alexander Browde

Thanks.

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude

Tobie -- The statues you cite only relate to public filings and disclosure in non-discovery settings. While I routinely redact all but the last four digits of any social security number and last four digits of account numbers and have never been challenged, i doubt in a family law matter full disclosure could not be required.

Tobie Brina Waxman

Tobie Brina Waxman

Thanks Michael. In every one of my cases, judges routinely admonish counsel for filing documents without redacting ss #s. I also routinely redact whole ss# and partial account numbers. Then, if someone can establish a need for those things, we can duke it out, but it's never happened in 20 years.

You can redact the SSN but you cannot redact the entire account #

This response will not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Sarieh Law Offices, and is not intended to serve as a legal advice in your specific circumstances. This response is a legal opinion based solely on facts represented and you should not rely on this legal opinion as a legal advice. You still need to consult an attorney directly to fully protect your legal rights.

Yes, you can absolutely redact your ss#. In fact you should. As far as bank account numbers, you can redact all but the last 4 numbers of the account number. Those last 4 numbers should be enough to identify the account even for subpoena purposes..

You can redact SS numbers but you will need to disclose accouint numbers.