Can I redact personal information in family law discovery responses?

Asked 5 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have to turn over a bunch of personal information to my spouse's attorney through discovery requests in my divorce case. Can I redact my social security number in tax statements and my bank account numbers on those statements?

1. Tobie Brina Waxman

2

Answered . Yes, you can absolutely redact your ss#. In fact you should. As far as bank account numbers, you can redact all but the last 4 numbers of the account number. Those last 4 numbers should be enough to identify the account even for subpoena purposes..

2. Wail Sarieh

Pro

Answered . You can redact the SSN but you cannot redact the entire account #

3. Gregory Paul Benton

Answered . You can redact SS numbers but you will need to disclose accouint numbers.

4. David Alexander Browde

Pro

Answered . No. Nor is there any reason to. Do you seriously think your spouse doesn't know the relevant social security number?