Can I redact personal information in family law discovery responses?

I have to turn over a bunch of personal information to my spouse's attorney through discovery requests in my divorce case. Can I redact my social security number in tax statements and my bank account numbers on those statements?

1. No. Nor is there any reason to. Do you seriously think your spouse doesn't know the relevant social security number?

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

2. You can redact the SSN but you cannot redact the entire account #

This response will not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Sarieh Law Offices, and is not intended to serve as a legal advice in your specific circumstances. This response is a legal opinion based solely on facts represented and you should not rely on this legal opinion as a legal advice. You still need to consult an attorney directly to fully protect your legal rights.

3. Yes, you can absolutely redact your ss#. In fact you should. As far as bank account numbers, you can redact all but the last 4 numbers of the account number. Those last 4 numbers should be enough to identify the account even for subpoena purposes..

4. You can redact SS numbers but you will need to disclose accouint numbers.