Can I recover my legal fees when I was sued for false reasons? I paid my attorney over $5,000.00 to get the case dismissed.

Asked over 1 year ago - Evans, GA

I was sued in Georgia Superior Court by my neighbor's wife for $ 40 , 000 . 00 in home repairs that she felt I was responsible for . My attorney filed a motion for summary judgment and the lawsuit was dismissed ; and , that all costs be taxed against the plaintiff . There are multiple reasons this was frivolous litigation , but it was dismissed b / c the wife is not the owner of the house . She is not on the deed , only her husband , and he is not on the lawsuit . The house was abandoned for 7 yrs and the door rotted and fell off . Many young kids were playing in there . I called the police to secure the property b / c I was concerned a child was going to get hurt . Because I told the police my 12 yr old son had been inside with the other kids , I was sued for repairs on the neglected house .

1. Scott Benjamin Riddle

Pro

7

1

Answered . It is unusual to receive fees in you situation, even if it was a frivolous case, but the person you should be asking is your lawyer (and the question should have been asked before the conclusion of the case, if it has been concluded) .

2. Kris K. Skaar

6

1

Answered . You need to have a heart to heart talk with your attorney about this. Georgia generally follows the "American Rule" which means that typically each side pays its own attorney. So it would be a rare exception for you to get attorneys fees awarded.

If you were going to seek to recover your attorney fees, that is something that should have been planned on from the beginning. Because to get fees, you do not need to merely win, you need to win in a fashion that makes clear to the judge how frivolous the case against you was. Pursuing the case in that fashion actually takes more attorneys fees. So you would have to gamble the increased fees against the chance that judge judge would not think the plaintiff's case was "frivolous" enough. A lot of judges believe that everyone deserves their day in court and will be unwilling to penalize someone for filing suit.

3. Michael Charles Doland

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . The prevailing party is not entitled to attorney fees unless provided for by contract or by a specific state or federal statute.

4. David Jason Merbaum

5

Answered . You did not state when your case was concluded by OCGA 9-15-14 allows you to file a motion for attorney fees up to 45 days after final disposition of the action. The other attorneys are correct in that your attorney should have discussed this with you and the chances of getting the fees are not too great, and if you spent $5,000 to get a $40,000 case out on summary judgment it seems like your attorney did a good job. However, if a case is in fact without a factual or legal absence of a justiciable issue and it is properly presented you can in fact get attorney fees. Ask your attorney if its too late to file the motion.

5. Robert Bruce Kopelson

5

Answered . Talk to a local lawyer to see if you can prove a malicious prosecution claim. They are difficult but sometmes successful.

6. David Thomas Dorer

3

Answered . You can file a claim for abuse of process and collect not only your attorneys fees, but incidental costs, mental distress damages, and punitive damages.

Generally, any person who takes an active part in the initiation, continuation, or procurement of civil proceedings against another
    is liable for abusive litigation, if the person acts with malice and without substantial justification.

Essentially, because your neighbor had no real basis to assert a claim, if you can prove she knew this and sued anyway out of spite or to "shake you down," you can recover from her your compensatory damages (attorneys fees, costs), the cost of your stress and personal heartache (mental distress damages), and the court can punish her and let a jury award punitive damages.

A few notes for others: I use this strategy to recover compensation against credit card companies that file frivolous claims on old debts against my clients. It is designed to prevent their frivolous lawsuits. Also, mental distress and punitive damages are often awarded by juries: an experienced litigation attorney is essential for such a claim.