Can i receive unemployment

Asked over 1 year ago - Vero Beach, FL

My employer asked me if there was something wrong with me becasue they said that i was not performing as i usually do. I told them no. Later in the day he told me to leave and not return without a release from my doctor stating no restrictions. This is the second time they have done this to me. They no that I have a chronic illness that does not affect my job, but when they feel like harassing me they tell me i cant return to work without a release from doctor. And to make matters worse, it costs me money every time this happens, also I dont like to go to doctor due to beliefs. If i quit because I feel like I am being harassed what are the chances I would be able to receive unemployment? Thank you.

1. Clifford M. Miller

Pro

1

Answered . Either use the AVVO find a lawyer tool, or call the Florida Bar for a lawyer that specializes in employment law (I do not). You may have an ADA claim.

2. Meghan Hayes Slack

1

Answered . Quitting your job is risky. Before you act, you should speak with a local employment lawyer about what you might expect if you did try to apply for unemployment benefits. You should also speak with the attorney about the possibility of filing a complaint of discrimination against your employer. You can search for an attorney on Avvo or contact the National Employment Lawyers Association for a referral.

3. David Andrew Mallen

Answered . I am a California lawyer, not licensed to practice in Florida. In general, quitting a job makes it very difficult to obtain unemployment. You would need to consult with your state agency to learn the standards and have a case for quitting that is well-documented. Proof is usually the key in any employment case.

You should consult a local lawyer about disability rights in the workplace.

David Mallen