Can I receive social security survivor benefits for myself as well as my children?

Asked about 4 years ago - Elgin, IL

I am an unemployed widow with two dependent children in IL. I was a teacher and was laid off. I now collect unemployment benefits (as of June 2010). I was unable to collect surviving widow benefits last year because I was still working. Still, as of January 2011, I will have no earnings, so can I collect surviving widow benefits as of that date? Will I still be able to collect my unemployment? One of my children will be dropped from SS benefits when she turns 18 in May of 2011. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated!

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Gerald Gregory Lutkenhaus

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Social Security survivors benefits can be paid to:

    * A widow or widower -- full benefits at full retirement age, or reduced benefits as early as age 60
    * A disabled widow or widower -- as early as age 50
    * A widow or widower at any age if he or she takes care of the deceased's child who is under age 16 or disabled, and receiving Social Security benefits

    THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,375 answers this week

3,120 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,375 answers this week

3,120 attorneys answering