Can I receive my Social Security Disability pay monthly while attending online courses from my home?

Asked over 1 year ago - Saint Robert, MO

I retired from the US Army after 22 years in May 2008. I have several disabilities from combat and service connected. I have a Traumatic Brain Injury which required surgery and I also suffer from seizures. My disabilities are getting worse, as they are producing more secondary issues. I have a Master's of Arts Degree. I want to get my Doctoral Degree, and I found a University that is military friendly and works with the VA all the time. This degree is completely online. VA will pay for it under my 911 GIBILL program. All the doctoral work and research will be done from my home or my wife will drive me to the library. I forgot to mention, my wife or certified caregiver must watch over me 24/7 because of certain combat disabilities. Very Respectfully, Jeff Holsather

1. Clifford Michael Farrell

2

Answered . My colleague is correct - it sounds like you have agood plan. Make sure you are getting all the VA benefits you are due as well - you can collect VA Compensation (service connected benefits) AND collect your Social Sceurity benefits too.

2. Paula Brown Sinclair

1

Answered . First of all, posting personal identifying information in a public forum like this is not wise.

If you have insured status for Social Security disability and can prove that your combined impairments preclude working at any kind of a job, then taking classes online will not make you ineligible for the benefits. It sounds like you have a commendable plan for your future.

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  3. Lawrence John Gibney Jr.

Answered . I agree with my colleagues and commend you for pursuing your educational goals. Best of luck to you.