Skip to main content

Can I receive a California Driver's License with a Washington State License?

Gardena, CA |

I'm a resident of Washington but I've been in California for over a year now, can I get a California's Driver license? any help please!!

Attorney Answers 2


As a franchise attorney, I recommend you visit the California Dept. of Motor Vehicles website at as this will provide forms and answers to your question.

Generally speaking, ff you are a visitor in California and have a valid driver license from your home state, you can drive in California without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.

But if you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. This entails paying the standard fee, taking the vision and driver's exam, etc. Residency is established a number of ways, like voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or "any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents."

Good luck!

Kevin B. Murphy, B.S., M.B.A., J.D.
Attorney at Law
Director of Operations - Mr. Franchise

Mark as helpful


If you have a valid Washington state license, but are now a resident of California, you should be able to obtain a Cali license. Just go to the DMV and submit an application.

Mark as helpful

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics