Can i reapply for unemployment even if last year was denied and i didnt appeal?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Sacramento, CA

In july of 2011 I filed for unemployment. My parents lost the house and we moved to Sacramento, also I was getting married in october of the same year, so I wrote that i was getting married in october and that i was moving to sacramento. Therefore my application was denied. Then I appealed and when I got the appointment I canceled it, because my husband said that I didnt need to do that since he would be taking care of my expenses...... After a year of marriage we separated and neither of us have a job. I havent been able to find a job and that is why I would like to know if I could refiled for unemployment.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Michael Robert Kirschbaum

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am sorry you have gone through such a difficult time. Unfortunately, i cannot brighten things up for you because it appears you lost your opportunity to fight for your benefits when you canceled your appeal of the decision denying them. The denial of those benefits does not change with the passage of time. You won't qualify for unemployment until you lose another job through no fault of your own.

    They say you get what you pay for, and this response is free, so take it for what it is worth. This is my opinion... more
  2. Stephen Ross Cohen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . File, what have you got to lose, 15 minutes of your time?

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced... more

Related Topics

Unemployment compensation after job loss

Unemployment compensation is money you get from the state if you lose your job and it's not your fault. It helps cover your expenses while you look for a job.

Bradley Paul Rothman

Florida Unemployment Appeals

Generally, you are entitled to unemployment benefits if your employment was terminated for reasons other than "misconduct" as that term is defined by statute, or if you resigned your... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,157 answers this week

3,497 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,157 answers this week

3,497 attorneys answering