Can I reapply for asylum after 2 years of my final denial.

Berkeley, CA |
Filed under: Political asylum

Hi, My asylum case got final denial on July 2011. SInce I was in OPT, I was not sent to IJ. I finished my OPT and then finished school. It has been a year and now I want to reapply for asylum because I have a fear of persecution and there is no way to go back home. Can I reapply for asylum now after a year?

Is there a changed country condition? You must assess your situation with an immigration lawyer who has a good grasp of asylum issues.

Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail: mc@madridcrost.com; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street, Suite 3320, Chicago, IL 60603 Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site: www.stopnotariofraud.org.

Your question refers to a two-year lapse, but the body of it states a one-year lapse of time. Regardless it will be pointless to reapply without assessing a change in your situation or your home country that affects you, within the past year. You need to discuss the specifics of your case with an experienced immigration attorney.

The above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses are merely intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney in your community. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state

I agree with my esteemed colleague's assessment.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.