Can I read from pre-written opening and closing statements. I know I am not supposed to but can judge disallow?

Asked over 1 year ago - Van Nuys, CA

This is a limited non-jury trial. Is it better to ask for court's permission to read or just present it without asking?

1. Malosack Berjis

2

Answered . If your question is whether you can present your opening statement and closing argument by reading them off of a sheet of paper (instead of presenting them from memory) then the answer to your question is that there is no need to ask for the court's permission before reading from your "pre-written" notes. I hope this helps.

2. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

1

Answered . The better practice, in my opinion, is to timely submit a written trial brief.

3. Christine C McCall

Pro

Answered . In a bench trial you are likely to find that the court feels strongly that s/he does not need either an opening statement or a closing argument.

4. Alex John Aretakis

Answered . Reading a pre-written opening is fine. The closing will depend largely on the facts elicited at trial. The real issue is that by reading your opening may be less effective as you lose the connection with the judge. If possible you should prepare an opening brief for the court and have an outline of what you want to say in your opening statement. This way, you can engage with the judge and if you forget to make a specific point it is included in your written product.