Can I read a letter to the judge instead of trying to tell him the story? Will I lose credibility?

Asked over 1 year ago - Portland, OR

I am going to small claims court and I don't want to ramble on. Can I write a letter and read it to the judge with all the facts that are in my case. Do you think the judge will take me less serious if I do that? Any advice would help.

1. Jay Bodzin

1

Answered . The letter itself would not be admissible as evidence. But you could use notes to refresh your recollection of events. Many attorneys present arguments in court with the aid of notes. (Personally, I was always a fan of the great classicist C.D.C. Reeve. He purportedly would prepare for a lecture by bringing a 3x5 card that said "Talk about Aristotle." Good attorneys, I believe, can do that - become familiar enough with a case that they can ad lib their arguments. But even still, we'll usually prepare a bit in advance.)

The point is, you should be prepared for the judge - or the opposing side - to ask you questions about what happened; you mustn't be wholly dependent on your script. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the events that occurred and your theory of the case.

Please read the following notice:

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

2

Answered . Reading a prepared letter does not make for an effective case presention

3. Bennett James Wills

Pro

1

Answered . The formal rules of evidence do not apply in small claims. Instead, the rules are relaxed. The judge will probably let you read your story but don't be surprised if you need to do it from memory. Lots of people get nervous before court, it's normal. Try practicing your delivery a few times in front of a mirror before you go to court so you can remember the important details.