Can I re-open my divorse case after 2 years later, if I found new information I did not have at the time I agreed to the terms?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Oviedo, FL

Approx. 2 years ago I agree to certain terms in my divorce, not beneficial to me for he kept all the money and left me with debt. At the time I just wanted to move on and forget about my then husband, whom out of nowhere decided to leave me with no explanation or notice. After the divorce I found out that he left me to be with someone else, and that he had been with that someone during our marriage, went on vacations with her, purchased a wedding ring while we were married, and married her 1 month after our divorce. We were married for 25 years, have 2 kids (20 & 26), he kept all the money in our accounts (over $50,000), left me a car payment and a house payment, we each kept our retirements (his is 4 times more than mine). If I knew what I know now I would have fight for what I know now is mine.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Joanna Marie Mitchell


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Unfortunately, there is most likely nothing that you can do at this point, unless you can prove he lied on a financial affidavit. However, it doesn't sound like he failed to disclose any accounts or hid any assets, only failed to disclose his personal behavior. While it does sound as if he dissipated marital assets during the marriage, that wouldn't be grounds to "re-open" the matter. That should have been dealt with at the Final Judgment hearing.

    Wish I could be more helpful!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,676 answers this week

2,923 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,676 answers this week

2,923 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary