Can I re-file a EDD UI claim after being denied and past the appeal deadline?

Asked about 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

I applied months ago. I received an award letter and a date for an interview on a Saturday. For some odd reason I didn't receive a call during the schedule time frame, but later received a voicemail stating I missed their call. I tried calling back and even emailed them. I received a letter claiming I am denied benefits because I attend a college. I didn't have enough money to send my appeal certified, and I've been waiting for 3 weeks now. should I re-file?

1. Michael Robert Kirschbaum

2

1

Answered . You cannot file a new claim for the time period you originally applied for. But you can still submit an appeal. One of the issues which will now be addressed at the appeal is whether there was a good reason you missed the first appeal deadline. If the judge decides there was, the ALJ will then address the merits of your claim.

2. Neil Pedersen

2

1

Answered . You do not get another new bite at the same apple. In other words, you cannot re-apply for benefits that the EDD has already determined you are not entitled to received. However, you should appeal the determination if there is still time. You will need to prove your entitlement to benefits, but also the good cause reason for missing the prior hearing.

Good luck to you.

3. Cyrus Mor

1

Answered . You have 20 days from the date listed on the EDD Notice of Determination to file a timely appeal. If more than 20 days have passed, you will need to show that you have good cause for filing late. If you were denied because you attend college, there is likely an issue as to whether you are currently able and available to immediately accept work. It is not uncommon for it to take several weeks to receive your Notice of Hearing. I would not recommend re-filing your claim.