Can I re-enter US with a DUI

Asked over 1 year ago - 28278

Recently convicted of DUI - UK citizen with British passport. Divorced from American but have joint custody of our son. If I return to UK to see family will I have problems re-entering US?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

16

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

2. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

10

Best Answer

Answered . It will depend on the type of DUI offense, and the specific violation of the specific criminal code you were convicted of. That is because if you were convicted of DUI it could be considered a Crime Involving Moral Turpitude or even aggravated felony, depending on the precise charge and statute. In any event it could prevent you from re-entering or could cause you to be able to re-enter only to be placed immediately in removal proceedings. Also your question does not have key facts, such as your current status such as LPR, nonimmigrant, etc. Consult a competent AILA attorney to discuss the immigration consequences of any criminal history.

3. F. "Bill" William Powers

Pro

6

Answered . It makes sense to speak with an immigration attorney, as they would be better suited to answer that question.

From the DWI/DUI criminal side, one would be remiss in failing mention the need to comply with each and every aspect of the Court's Order such as probation, treatment, fines, community service and if appropriate, travel restrictions.

Hope that helps. Mind the gap.

#billpowers
    #charlottelawhelp
    #powmac.com
    #SuperLawyersNC
    #Top25LawyersCLT