Can I re-enter US on F1 visa with my H1B pending?

Asked about 1 year ago - Union City, CA

I have a valid F1 visa till 2015 but my OPT expired in June 2013. I had to travel urgently to my home country in August and now I am not sure whether I need to wait for my H1 decision or get H1 stamped to come back. Please advice.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you are on GAP CAP you could. Otherwise, you need to have an H1B visa.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Wendy Rebecca Barlow

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attirney Segal. You could travel to the U.S. using your F-1 only if you are on gap cap. Otherwise, you must obtain an H-1B visa to re-enter.

    Wendy R. Barlow, Esq, The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., 111 Broadway, Suite 1306, New York NY 10006, (... more
  3. Fadi N. Minawi

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you already have any approved H-1B petition and your OPT was extended, its possible.

    Legal disclaimer: For specific advice on your case, Mr. Minawi can be reached at 1-866-929-0991 ext. 206 or by... more
  4. Tripti Sharad Sharma


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Talk to your H-1B petitioning company's counsel and seek his advise.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,643 answers this week

2,857 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,643 answers this week

2,857 attorneys answering