Can I re-apply for OPT STEM extension?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Jersey City, NJ

I graduated with a Masters in Computer Science in the USA in May 2010. I applied for post-completion OPT, started working on a full-time job since April 2010. Before my post-completion OPT expired, I applied for an OPT STEM extension, but while the application was pending, I decided to come back to India, and mailed USCIS about cancelling my application. Now, I wish to come back and work in the USA. Can I re-apply for extended OPT? I work in a company in India whose headquarters are in the US.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Dean P Murray

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Not likely. You have to be in an approved post-completion OPT period based on a designated STEM degree. You should consult an immigration attorney to discuss your situation in greater detail and inquire as to your options.

    Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely... more
  2. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . It does not look possible.

    Meet with an attorney to explore alternatives.

    FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  3. Theodore John Murphy


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I does not appear likely that you can reenter on an extended OPT. Contact an experienced immigration attorney to explore ways to come back.

    The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,141 answers this week

2,961 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary