Can I re-apply for OPT STEM extension?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Jersey City, NJ

I graduated with a Masters in Computer Science in the USA in May 2010. I applied for post-completion OPT, started working on a full-time job since April 2010. Before my post-completion OPT expired, I applied for an OPT STEM extension, but while the application was pending, I decided to come back to India, and mailed USCIS about cancelling my application. Now, I wish to come back and work in the USA. Can I re-apply for extended OPT? I work in a company in India whose headquarters are in the US.

1. Dean P Murray

Answered . Not likely. You have to be in an approved post-completion OPT period based on a designated STEM degree. You should consult an immigration attorney to discuss your situation in greater detail and inquire as to your options.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

Answered . It does not look possible.

Meet with an attorney to explore alternatives.

3. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

Answered . I does not appear likely that you can reenter on an extended OPT. Contact an experienced immigration attorney to explore ways to come back.