Skip to main content

Can I re-apply for another J1 visa after I resigned from a training program on a J1 visa?

Long Branch, NJ |

Hi! Good day!

I have a question. I started my Internal Medicine residency training on July 1st of this year in a hospital on a J-1 visa but terminated my contract after 2 months due to personal problems. Now, I am planning to re-apply for residency training in the US next year; so if for example I got matched in a program, would there be any problem when I apply in a US embassy for another new J-1 visa?

My previous J-1 visa which I got in May 2013 says that I am subject to the 2-year home country physical presence. Do I need to fulfill this requirement even though I did not complete my training in the US? And Do I also need to fulfill this 2-year home country physical presence before I can get a new J-1 visa?

Thank you in advance.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You will need to explain your circumstances to the ECFMG and to the US Embassy in your country in order to obtain another J visa. You are only subject to the two-year residency requirement with regard to getting an H visa, an L visa or a green card, not another J visa.

Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.



Mr. Asatrian's practice is dedicated to the area of immigration and nationality law. Please note the information provided herein does not constitute legal advice and should not be construed as such by anyone. It should not be relied upon as legal advice as more specific facts, research and analysis may be required to formulate a proper strategy and action in your matter. Please note this does not create an attorney-client relationship whatsoever. You should seek the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney to review your matter thoroughly and gather all of the necessary information and documentation to provide you with the best possible legal solution.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer