Skip to main content

Can I qualify for L1A visa if I working in Norwegian company from 3 years as a manager ?

Phoenix, AZ |

I own construction company in Norway from 3 years and I working as a manager for it from 3 years and I want open branch in US , can I hire my self in this branch by L1A visa ? what I need for getting L1A in my case for this visa as a documents from Norway to submit? How long take to get approved quickly?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Talk to the Norwegian company and advise them to hire an experienced immigration attorney in the USA. Explain to them that L1A is a complicated petition and they will not be able to handle it without the lawyer.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  2. Possibly. Your company will need to hire an experienced immigration attorney. You may get the L1A visas for one year, then 2 year extensions (maximum total of 7 years).

    Guerra Saenz, PL--Immigration Attorneys (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.

  3. The problem (not impossible) is that you want to hire yourself.

    With a good US licensed attorney, and an excellent plan as to how the 'home' company in Norway will survive w/o you .. you can probably get a 1 year visa to open up the US company.

    This can be renewed if your US branch hires US workers, etc.

    Most of us use Skype for International consultations.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  4. If you have been working a manager of managers or professionals or in some cases a function, it possible for you to get an L1A visa of 1 year duration to come to the United States to set up a related business in the u.s . You will need to show that the your Norwegian company owns atleast 50% of shares in the u.s business or both businesses have 50% share holding by the same group of people. You will also need a business plan to show what your business will do in the united states and that it will grow within 365 days to a sufficient size for you to be engaged primarily in managerial tasks. You would need to hire sufficient staff by day 365 to evidence this when requesting an extension of l1 status. Once your u.s business has been in doing active business for one year and has sufficient staff to support a manager you can file an immigrant petition and an application for permanent residence with it.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics