Can I put my child up for adoption without the bio fathers consent?

Asked over 1 year ago - Cotati, CA

I am due to give birth this week and have not been able to get ahold of the father of my child for about 2 weeks now. He does not answer or return phone calls, texts, or emails. He showed interest in being In the child's life then disappeared. There is a military no contact order in place due to a DV incident but as far as I knew we could communicate regarding our child as long as it wasn't in person. I found a family willing to adopt and who I am comfortable with. Am I able to do this without him given my current situation? I'm not sure how to handle this situation at all.

1. Michelle Louise Blair

Pro

Answered . Either the father has to consent or you will need to terminate his parental rights. You should consult with a local attorney to assist you with this adoption.

2. Oliver Alexander Greenwood

Answered . You can set it up and they will need to terminate his parental rights.

Doing this without letting him know scrapes the bottom of the barrel at best. Get a hold him and let him know about your intentions. He can even sign off on it if he agrees.

If you are making all the efforts that you say you are, document it all, keep very good records, send letters, make copies of them and the envelopes. Then you can later show the courts that you made the efforts.

Hold on. He's in the military? Go through his chain of command. Call his commanding officer and get him to talk. You can absolutely get a hold of him if he is in the military.