Can I put my cash in a bank safety box in order to qualify Medi-Cal Income and Resource Limits for nursing home care?

Asked over 2 years ago - Richmond, CA

In California, institutionalized spouse may keep only $2,000. I cannot really afford to buy long term care insurance. Does my retirement money (401K, IRA) count toward Medi-Cal Income and Resource Limits of $2000? What options do I have? Is it a good idea putting my money in a bank safety box? I am about 50 year old. Thank you.

Even I am only 50, but should I do it when I reach about 60 year old. Thanks.

1. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

8

1

Answered . All assets including cash in a safe deposit box would have to be disclosed if you apply for benefits.

2. Jeffrey Manuel Sydney

Pro

5

1

Answered . Let's be really blunt here, to keep you out of trouble. If you put your cash in a safe deposit box and apply for Medi-Cal without disclosing it to the State, the State may put you in a safe deposit box called a jail cell. There are much better and more legitimate ways to plan and qualify for Medi-Cal benefits. You should by all means consult a qualified attorney.

3. Steven J. Fromm

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . As both attorneys point out, you need to get with an experienced estates attorney to get your estate plan in order. For more on the estate planning process and related issues see Estate Planning Mistakes: 5 Not So Easy Pieces at http://www.sjfpc.com/estate_planning_drafting_w.... Be sure to hit the like button at the end of this article if you found it helpful.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website for more tax, estate and business articles is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is

4. James P. Frederick

4

1

Answered . You are young enough that you likely have lots of time to plan for long term care expenses. You *may* be able to afford long term care coverage, because at your age, it will be cheaper. You can also pick and choose the options to make things more affordable.

You need to make sure that all of your estate planning is in order. You may NEVER need long term care coverage. But at some point, you will leave this world, and what happens to your assets will depend on whether you leave instructions or what state law says, if you do NOT leave instructions. You should also have a general durable power of attorney for health care and for financial matters, so that if you ever DO become incapacitated, YOU get to choose the person(s) who take care of you and your finances.

You should meet with an estate planning attorney to review your objectives and determine how best to proceed. You are very wise to be thinking of these things, now, at a time when there is a lot of different options available for you.

James Frederick