Can I put my book and supply expenses for college without receiving a tax paper from school?

San Diego, CA |

I went full time for Fall 2011 and also full time for Spring 2012 , in 2012 I did not deduct the school expenses for Spring 2012 . I figured only the expenses for Spring 2011 and Fall 2011 would count . Now I did not receive a tax paper for Spring 2012 and still have those book and supply expenses that I never deducted . I am not deducting anything else but school and what I receive from SIS . Would this be a red flag for the RICH or am I able to deduct it ?

1. Ask your certified tax preparer, accountant or CPA.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

2. This is a question you need to ask an enrolled agent, CPA, or tax attorney. There are many issues here, other than the one you mention. Only a tax advisor fully familiar with your situation can determine your reportable income, your appropriate deductions, and credits for which you may be eligible. Do yourself a BIG favor and consult your tax preparer. That help may be worth more than you pay for it.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

3. Why do you think that your expenses for going to school are deductible? If you are going to college, they are certainly not.