Can I put my book and supply expenses for college without receiving a tax paper from school?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I went full time for Fall 2011 and also full time for Spring 2012 , in 2012 I did not deduct the school expenses for Spring 2012 . I figured only the expenses for Spring 2011 and Fall 2011 would count . Now I did not receive a tax paper for Spring 2012 and still have those book and supply expenses that I never deducted . I am not deducting anything else but school and what I receive from SIS . Would this be a red flag for the RICH or am I able to deduct it ?

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

3

Answered . Ask your certified tax preparer, accountant or CPA.

2. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

2

Answered . This is a question you need to ask an enrolled agent, CPA, or tax attorney. There are many issues here, other than the one you mention. Only a tax advisor fully familiar with your situation can determine your reportable income, your appropriate deductions, and credits for which you may be eligible. Do yourself a BIG favor and consult your tax preparer. That help may be worth more than you pay for it.

3. Bruce Givner

Pro

Answered . Why do you think that your expenses for going to school are deductible? If you are going to college, they are certainly not.