Can i put a mechanics lien on my property after it got foreclosed on in California?

I did a ton of work on my house, over $50k in improvements. The house got foreclosed on, and it had equity in it. I wanted to know if I could put a mechanics lien on the property so that anyone attempting to buy it would have to pay me back for that work/improvements. I know it's a stretch, but still...

Ontario, CA -

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude

Real Estate Attorney - Sherman Oaks, CA

For many and various reasons: No.

Edward Zaryl Kotkin

Edward Zaryl Kotkin

Real Estate Attorney - Santa Ana, CA

If you had equity, why didn't you refinance and pay off the lender? Elvis has left the building. Move on and good luck.

Cathleen M Curl

Cathleen M Curl

Construction / Development Lawyer - Millbrae, CA

I agree with the other 2 answers. You can't lien for it. Sorry.

Scott G Wolfe JR

Scott G Wolfe JR

Construction / Development Lawyer - New Orleans, LA

Generally, no. BUT:

1) If you did the work through a separate entity (like, a business did the work and formally contracted with you to do it), even if you are the majority or sole shareholder of the separate entity;

AND

2) You have time left within the lien period;

AND

3) You followed the preliminary notice procedures.

THAN

MAYBE

It doesn't sound like, however, that all of the above are true.

Frederick Charles Thomas

Frederick Charles Thomas

Construction / Development Lawyer - Phoenix, AZ

Simply stated NO

Related Advice