Can i put a mechanics lien on my property after it got foreclosed on in California?

Asked over 1 year ago - Ontario, CA

I did a ton of work on my house, over $50k in improvements. The house got foreclosed on, and it had equity in it. I wanted to know if I could put a mechanics lien on the property so that anyone attempting to buy it would have to pay me back for that work/improvements. I know it's a stretch, but still...

1. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

6

Answered . For many and various reasons: No.

2. Edward Zaryl Kotkin

Pro

1

Answered . If you had equity, why didn't you refinance and pay off the lender? Elvis has left the building. Move on and good luck.

3. Cathleen M Curl

1

Answered . I agree with the other 2 answers. You can't lien for it. Sorry.

4. Scott G Wolfe JR

1

Answered . Generally, no. BUT:

1) If you did the work through a separate entity (like, a business did the work and formally contracted with you to do it), even if you are the majority or sole shareholder of the separate entity;

AND

2) You have time left within the lien period;

AND

3) You followed the preliminary notice procedures.

THAN

MAYBE

It doesn't sound like, however, that all of the above are true.

5. Frederick Charles Thomas

Pro

1

Answered . Simply stated NO