Can I put a lock on the gate on my property i own if I provide the neighbor a key that has an easement that goes through it

Columbia, TN |

I recently bought some property and i'm going to be putting some livestock and farm equipment on it, I recently found out a family has an easement that goes through my property (50 acres) can I legally put locks on the gates to keep my property and such safe if I provide them a key? Also I have a sign that clearly says keep gate shut everytime they go through the property they leave the gates open, can I do anything about that? Thanks

Yes. And document that you've given them a key. (Just send them a letter, perhaps certified or you can hand deliver the letter.)

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others. Thank you. This response may provide information relating to potential legal issues. Nevertheless, your review of any information contained herein is not a substitute for legal advice from qualified legal counsel. For this reason, you should not rely on this response as a source of legal advice. Your use of this information does not create any attorney-client agreement. In order to become a client of David C. Lee, you must negotiate a specific attorney–client agreement with an attorney from this law office.

Yes. An easement like this is for ingress and egress. So long as the other family is not precluded from using the easement, then you can lock the gates along the easement. As my colleague stated, document that you gave the other family a key.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

And if you ever have to change the lock, do not forget to provide a new key to the easement holder.

Recommended articles about Real estate