Skip to main content

Can I put a claim on the person I hit for collision

New London, CT |

I rear end some one but back lights on her car wasn't working and she was driven with a suspended licences now she still driven the car even of status of licence and giving diferent address beside she have been stop for same violations with licence and other traffic matters

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


You can put a claim in, but it will likely be denied as you rear-ended her; the law expects a reasonable driver to maintain his distance from other cars on the roadway. Don't be surprised if she doesn't begin a claim against you.

Good luck

Attorney Bonanno's answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should carefully consider advice from an attorney hired and who has all facts necessary to properly advise a client, which is why these answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.


As the following driver you had an obligation to not rear-end the vehicle, but, the lack of back lights could play a role in whether or not you are responsible or can claim that the other party was at fault. You would need to show that the lack of lights caused the collision and even then it would be an "uphill" battle.


Report it to your insurance company and they'll handle it. You both likely will be found partially at fault. Her license status had nothing to do with the collision. The brake lights are an issue but you still had the duty to come to a safe stop without hitting her. Good luck



Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Lars A. Lundeen

Lars A. Lundeen


Generally, the person doing the rear ending is responsible. Malfunctioning of her brake lights may be an issue of comparative negligence on the other party's part, however, it would probably be a small part compared to your own negligence in striking the vehicle from the rear.


Simply report the accident to your insurance company to resolve.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


You can certainly put in a claim. Odds are that the respective insurance companies will find a degree of fault with the other driver as well as yourself. It certainly does not hurt to put in a claim with both insurance companies. That being said, the fact that you rear-ended the other driver does put you at a disadvantage. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer