Can I put a camera on my front door in my apartment complex

Sacramento, CA |

I live in a very big apartment complex, with an on site leasing office. However I live to the side facing a public neghbhood street and it has gotten very ''shady'' in the area. I was wondering if I can place a camera on my front door of my apartment so I can see who is coming to my door? The way the unit is structured is my front door faces a wall not a street, so they would have to walk up to my door to be on video tape. Is that legal? Do I need permission from managment for that or no?

I live in Sacramento, CA by the way if that helps. Thanks.

1. If you are going to affix any video equipment to the building or the door itself, you need to get the permission of the landlord or property manager.

The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author (who is only admitted to practice law in the State of California). For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.