Can i pursue damages for intentional infliction of emotional distress

Asked 9 months ago - Chicago, IL

I informed my wife my wishing to get a divorce, an argument ensued. I was taken away from our home, and in the meantime she ripped holes in the ceiling and floor, soaked water everywhere and just trashed the house, Then she had it condemned. I am living in a hotel as of now and she has taken our child, all our marital assets she could, and is fabricating stories to different police agencies in an attempt to have me put in jail, also while i was in jail awaiting bond she opened lines of credit in my name and maxed them out, and took my vehicle. This is all very recent and I am attempting to locate competent counsel.

1. Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Pro

17

Best Answer

Answered . Divorces are awful, so my thoughts go out to you. Not fun for anyone involved.

WIthout some sort of physical trauma, Illinois courts generally do not allow IIED claims to exist. In your case, I don't see that cause of action.

What I do see, potentially, is an action against your wife criminally for criminal damage to property etc. This is something you should report to the authorities immediately.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing you should do right now, instead of thinking like a lawyer, is thinking like a potential client, and get yourself the best divorce and custody attorney you can find. Do not for a moment think you can avoid counsel. Do not think you can handle this yourself. Custody is involved, money is involved, wild lies and damage to things are involved--YOU NEED A DIVORCE LAWYER ASAP!

Obviously, all these things are things to talk to the divorce attorney about and there may be actions within the divorce that can be taken.

2. Charles Joseph Michael Candiano

Pro

15

Answered . Take a deep breath. Liability for Intentional torts CANNOT be insured like liability for negligent torts. Unless your wife is loaded or has a great job, why would you spend good money to get an uncollectible judgment?

You need a divorce attorney but forget the IIED claim.

3. Robert Alan Cohen

Pro

14

Answered . Normally the law does not favor that type of claim, but I will put it to you this way, you have a story to tell.
    You need a divorce lawyer. As you have been advised, there are many, many good ones. The Find a Lawyer tab works well. Read client reviews.

4. David Ian Schoen

Pro

12

Answered . It seems to have all of the necessary elements. Consult with an experienced IL personal injury attorney. If not consult with a matrimonial attorney ASAP and try to get injunctive relief to prevent her from further damaging you.

5. Miguel Amador

11

Answered . You need to discuss these facts with a local personal injury attorney who handles IIED cases to determine the viability of your case. You also appear to have some facts regarding the credit cards that could warrant a police report as well. Use the Avvo Find a Lawyer feature to locate a few attorneys in your area and discuss the case with several before choosing the one you feel suits you best.

6. Michael T Warshaw

11

Answered . I agree with my colleagues - you need local divorce counsel and personal injury counsel.

7. Josh P Tolin

11

Answered . I agree with Stephen. Sorry you are going through tough times. By definition, every divorce would include elements of emotional distress, and most are intentional. Here is the problem..... even if you had a case, since it is an intentional act, it is not covered by insurance. Assuming you had a case, and got a verdict, and kept it through the appellate process, you would have a difficult time collecting on it. Plus..... you would be collecting on your own assets... or what used to be your assets.

Pro

7

Answered . Relax and retain one of the above distinguished lawyers to investigate

Licensed & have offices in PA & NJ ONLY. (Philadelphia, PA & Marlton, NJ)
  9. Andrea Medlock Harvey

3

Answered . I see that a lot of attorneys responded, but not many family law attorneys in Chicago. I highly suggest you research and hire a family law attorney. The IIED claim is shaky but there are legal remedies for your legal issues. Contact someone ASAP.