Can I pursue an injury claim after termination? The injury occurred several years ago and has become worse over time.

Asked about 1 year ago - Westminster, CA

I fell off a ladder at work about 6 years ago. My arm hurt but was bearable for many years due to my work assignment. Once I was assigned to more physical duty my arm began hurting again. I never filed another claim on this I just worked through it and because I was a manager I could delegate any physical work when it was hurting. It began to hurt more and more over the last year. Again, I did not file a claim. I was in management and my performance is based on expenses, knowing what a claim could cost I did not file a claim. I have recently been terminated and the last 2 months I have not worked my arm has become worse to the point that I cannot even put on my bra. I contacted my former company and they denied a claim because it was after termination.

1. Ruben Alonso Montoya

5

Answered . You can file a Continuing Trauma (CT) injury basically stating that since you suffered first injury and worked through it you got injured daily to the point you are now. They will surely raise a post termination defense however they are harder to proof when there injury is a CT. I would consult with a WC attorney immediately to go over the facts of your claim. Good Luck!

2. Fernando Davin Vargas

Pro

4

Answered . It appears you cannot file a claim for personal injuries because your injury occured while you were within the course and scope of your employment. If the injury occured because of the negligence of a third party, it appears your statute of llimitations may have run. You do not provide enough information for me to properly address this issue. You should immediately consult with a lawyer that handles workers compensation matters; and with an employment attorney to address the propriety of your termination from your employment. Good luck!

3. Richard Andrew Harting

Pro

2

Answered . post termination cases are very difficult since they start off as a denied case, it will be critical that you have evidence to support your claim of injury. you should consult with a work comp atty in your area.

Pro

3

Answered . Ruben laid it out well

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now