Can I purchase or lease a new car with a federal tax lien on my credit report?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I have owed almost $60,000 to the IRS for about 5 years. I am on disability and I have no savings or assets that the IRS can take to satisfy the lien. I need a new car. My mother is going to help me with the down payment or lease payment. My question is this: can the IRS take the car if I buy it? Can they take it if I lease it, assuming that I can even qualify for the purchase? I would like to purchase or lease the car before the end of the year. Thank you!

1. Joshua Branden Swigart

Pro

6

1

Answered . Counsel is correct, a Fed Tax Lien will be reported to The Credit Bureau upon being filed by the IRS.

2. Phillip Monroe Smith

4

Answered . A federal tax lien attaches to all real and personal property owned by the taxpayer. This also applies to after acquired property. It is extremely doubtful that someone would sell you a car in your name because of the tax lien, and your financial circumstances. It is equally unrealistic to assume that someone would co-sign for you to purchase a car that would be encumbered by a $60,000.00 federal tax lien. Your question is therefore completely as unrealistic as the "tooth fairy."

This being said, your only realistic possibility is if someone leased or purchased a car in their name and insured you to drive it. If the car is in another person's name, then then IRS cannot take it if that person completely owns the lease or the car.

Good luck!
    Phillip M. Smith Jr.
    Los Angeles Tax & Business Attorney
    Licensed in the United States Tax Court
    www.culvercitytaxandbusinesslaw.com
    www.corporateattorney.com
    www.worlclasslawyers.com
    Call: 323-292-4116 or 562-505-1004

3. Tuella O Sykes

5

1

Answered . A Federal Tax Lien will be reported to the Credit Bureau once it is filed by the IRS. A simple credit check pulled by anyone checking your credit will see the Lien on your credit report. It will generally stay on their for 10 years. However, regardless of this you should be apply to apply for credit or purchase/leasing a vehicle. It will be up to the company willing to finance the vehicle if the lien will be an issue in obtaining credit for you. What may be required is a co-signor or some other credit worthy individual to guarantee financing.

4. Christopher Michael Larson

Pro

2

Answered . A tax lien definitely affects your ability to obtain credit. And if you buy it outright, they technically own it and get any proceeds if you later sell the car.

You should call a tax attorney in your area and look into an Offer in Compromise before you do anything.

Christopher Larson
    Insight Law
    Tax Attorney
    Tax Lawyer
    Tax Attorney Covington WA
    Tax Attorney Lynnwood WA
    Tax Attorney Bothell WA
    Tax Attorney Marysville WA
    Tax Attorney in Washington State
    Tax Attorney Bainbridge Island WA
    Tax Attorney Tacoma WA
    Tax Attorney Tukwila WA
    Tax Attorney Seattle WA
    Tax Attorney Bellevue WA
    Tax Attorney Everett WA