Can I purchase a un-regulated firearm in Maryland?

Asked over 2 years ago - Ellicott City, MD

I recently tried to purchase a handgun and found on i was prohibited due to an 2nd degree arson charge when i was 13 years old. My question is i know i cannot own a regulated firearm in maryland until i am 30 years old, but can i legally purchase a un-regulated (long gun) in maryland with a juvenile arson felony? Thank you very much for your time.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. William Lawrence Welch III

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I suspect that if the juvenile matter appeared on the background check, that it is instead a conviction that would prohibit you under both Maryland and federal law from possessing a firearm. Even if it were not a criminal conviction, Maryland and federal law prohibit certain people from possessing firearms under other circumstances that are listed in Md. Public Safety Code Ann. § 5-101, et. seq. and 18 U.S.C. section 922(g). Beware that the Maryland and federal statutes are similar, but they are not the same.

    In order to give you a precise answer to your question, any lawyer would need the details of your prior case. However, I do not recommed that you post additional details about yourself, in this forum, because anyone, including law enforcement, might use it against you. Instead, read the statutes, and if you still have questions, seek a confidential consultation with a criminal defense lawyer.

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Dennis James Dressler

How much do I tell my lawyer?

Start by telling your lawyer what you are charged with and when you are due to appear in court. From that point on I suggest that you let your lawyer ask you questions and you answer those... more

Felony crime

A felony is a crime that is punishable by more than one year in prison. Certain especially severe felonies may be punishable by the death sentence.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,904 answers this week

3,065 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,904 answers this week

3,065 attorneys answering