Can I provide a home to a homeless minor?

Missoula, MT |

A 16 year old minor whose parents have no interest in the child's life is in need of a home, preferably a support system and dedicated adult. I am not related in any way. What steps would need to be taken to allow me to provide the home? Is guardianship or adoption the only option? Though it's absolutely the right thing to do, is this just too risky from a legal perspective? The key complication, above all, is that we are a same-sex (male) couple, without any children. Again I emphasize that offering the home is the right thing to do in EVERY way, but we have legitimate concerns about the perception and possible ramifications. I don't want to tell the kid that I won't help, he needs and deserves the support, but there are obvious concerns. Where do I start a process, and what options woul

To specify; "we" as in my partner and I of 8 years, are looking to provide a home for the teen. As I read my questions after posting, the "we" could have been misinterpreted. If guardianship/adoption is the only viable option, it would be a single parent adoption... for now

This is too delicate to be casual about. You are asking for trouble if you do not consult a family court attorney and follow legal advice, which will depend on the facts, including available third party resources to protect the child while you work through the paper. There may be resources specific to homeless teens.

DISCLAIMER: I am not your attorney and readers employ any information provided herein at their own risk. Any comment is for general educational purposes only, and is based only on the limited facts provided, which may or may not be true. It is not legal advice upon which you may rely, as the commenter has not interviewed witnesses or examined any evidence, and has not researched the applicable law. Available defenses may prevent the success of any claim. Competent legal advice should always be obtained from a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction before taking any legal action or filing suit.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody