Can I print out a work email and use it against my employer in an unemployment hearing in New York?

Merrick, NY |

I am trying to receive unemployment - aside from my the president of my company physically threatening me, he sent me an email which stated that I was not to deal with any Indians (meaning middle eastern people) at my job. I also had another manager, in front of witnesses including my human resources representative, say that we don't want Indian people as customers to me. Of course this is blatant discrmination. My question is, can I print the email my boss sent to me at my job and include it if I have to go to a hearing?

Yes. The Administrative Law Judge will decide whether it is relevent and admissible.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Absolutely.

PLEASE READ THIS DISCLAIMER * I very much like to offer my advice and guidance to those in need. It is why I became a lawyer. However, please note that I have not been engaged to be your lawyer so my advice is general in nature. Certainly, if you would like, please feel free to email or call me to further discuss the particulars of your situation (as many times it is not a good idea to provide a lot of information about your case on a public forum). * Hacker Murphy, LLP * 518.213.0115 * Rfinn@hackermurphy.com * http://www.hackermurphy.com/Attorneys/Ryan-M-Finn.shtml * Hacker Murphy serves clients throughout New York State (including New York City and Long Island). *

Yes. It's proof of a communication. While there may be restrictions against this in an employee handbook or otherwise, even the restriction would likely be unlawful. Even without the printed copy of the email, you can credibly testify to what you received by email.

You need to bring that email to an experienced employment attorney immediately.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRoseMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

Furthermore, if you feel you were wrongfully terminated on the basis of your own race, gender, nationality, etc..., you should file a complaint with the EEOC and send the email to them as well. Since, according to you, this president threatened you with physical force and discriminates against customers based on their place of origin, he most likely creates a hostile work environment. You might consider seeking more than mere unemployment benefits.