Can I pretend to be underage to catch a potential pedophile?

Asked over 2 years ago - Washington, DC

If I have information that someone may be a pedophile, is it against the law to pretend to be a teen online and catch that person doing something illegal?

1. Barry Franklin Poulson

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . Assuming you are not a police officer, the risk here is tremendous. And, what if this person IS a police officer, and you fall into a pedophile trap? Leave police work to the police, and report what you suspect and why. The police can investigate and even set up an arrest situation.

2. Bryant Keith Martin

4

1

Answered . It may be legal, but it is a dumb idea. You are putting yourself in danger and may be accused of a crime yourself. This is what the police are for. Report it to them and forget about it.

3. Michael Charles Doland

3

1

Answered . Your actions are un-needed, risky and inappropriate.
    If you have reasonable grounds report them to the police and let them do their job.

4. Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Pro

2

Answered . It is potentially very risky, both physically, and for the outcome of the legal case against said pedophile. This is why law enforcement agencies, despite mistaken popular belief, generally DON'T like semi-vigilante organizations like the ones featured on To Catch a Predator.

Don't do it, leave it well enough alone. If you think someone is a child predator, notify the police immediately.