Can i press charging against another tenant as well as the landlord for harrassment?

the upstairs tenant has been harrassing me and my kids on daily basis. she has placed oven cleaner soak on sock and attached it to a fan and placed it outside my door so the fumes go in my apartment. i have taken pictures as well as the police have been called and witnessed this and the police have done nothing. the landlord is aware and he is doing nothing, my family have to suffer everyday through this what can i do?

Lindenhurst, NY -

Steven Warren Smollens

Steven Warren Smollens

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - New York, NY

Dear Lindenhurst Tenant:

You have exercised the two best approaches for dealing with the noxious neighbor, and not surprisingly the landlord will not stand up for your tenancy rights, and strangely the police failed to act in the face of what may be a serious crime.

With your two best and least expensive approaches down, you have to resort to using a lawyer. You and your lawyer will review options including suing the landlord, the tenant or both. Your lawyer may know how to elicit a better response from the police or may go to the State Police.

Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Bronx, NY

You can press harassment charges against the other tenant. You can sue the landlord in court for failure to provide a safe and sound apartment.

Richard J. Chertock

Richard J. Chertock

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - Melville, NY

It seems it's time to hire an attorney. A properly worded letter from an attorney might ellicit a better response. If not you will need to bring suit against the landlord and the tenant.

David Ilan Witkon

David Ilan Witkon

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - Garden City, NY

Time to hire a lawyer. Hire someone experienced in landlord and tenant matters, as well as light criminal cases. You may possibly find yourself becoming the complaining witness in a harassment 2nd case in district court. Find an attorney, by way of this site, other sites or Google "long island landlord tenant" or the like ... best of luck.