Skip to main content

Can I press charges on someone who reported false accusations to CPS? The things they said were unspeakable & anger me!

Mabank, TX |

Also, I just found out when reading the case records that they interviewed my daughter at her school. I know they can do that, but my husband or myself were not notified, and I read on the website they have to notify you within 24 hours of the interview. Is that a valid complaint?

Attorney Answers 4


Your experience with CPS is unfortunately not uncommon. If you are being investigated by CPS you need to hire a lawyer immediately. Once CPS decides you may have done something wrong you will run through the system and force you to complete as many classes, counseling sessions, drug tests, home studies as they desire, all while they threaten to remove your child to foster care, or worse, terminate your parental right all together. Get a lawyer, now.

Robert Guest is a Kaufman County Criminal Defense Lawyer with offices is Forney, Texas, Irving, Texas and Kaufman, Texas. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. My use of Avvo is not intended to form an attonrey-client relationship. Avvo is a limited forum and should never be used as a replacement for a consultation with a local lawyer. My answers are not legal advice. You really need a consultation with a local attorney. Do that before making any important decisions.

Mark as helpful

10 lawyers agree




Thank you, but once the investigation was over, nothing was found of course and it was all dropped. My daughter who had just turned 5 told the truth, and nothing that was said was true, obviously. It just angers me that they said those things! I don't want to just drop it, and seem ok with the fact that she said those things.

Robert Sterling Guest

Robert Sterling Guest


The law has broad protection for those who make allegations to CPS. I'm not sure you have a lot of great options for dealing with that. I'd visit with a local attorney to review the file and make sure.


I agree with Attorney Guest, you need to talk with an attorney ASAP.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


If some made false statements of fact about you to another knowing they were false you may have a case for defamation. However these case are very expensive. Most attorneys require a $5000 retainer to start. If this is worth it to you contact a local attorney to review your case.

-Michael R. Juarez Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216 San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 This posting is provided for “information purposes” only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principles discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different jurisdictions.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Without a monetary loss, a defamation lawsuit would costs thousands more than would be likely recovered.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics