Skip to main content

Can I press charges in N.J for false accousations? I was charged with aggravated assult.

Wayne, NJ |

I was wrongly accused of trying to run my sister in law over with my car. She said I tried and she got out the way. But in the restraining order she wrote she was behind me I threw change on her car then blocked her from leaving and she came to my car to confront me and that's when I tried striking her with my car. Does that make sense?? If where driving the same way how can I strike you if your on my driver side ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Your facts may be what an attorney would use in his summation at a trial. There is a lot to a case and its preparation. These are serious accusations and you should retain an attorney as soon as possible. You should not write about the case on the public forum or speak about it to anyone except an attorney.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.


First you need to defends against the charges. Inconsistencies in the testimony will help. Retain an attorney ASAP.


You really need to talk to an attorney. I can't tell from your narrative, but you might have been charged with a second degree aggravated assault, which is not good. Then again, you might not. Either way, if her inconsistencies are documented in a police report and a temporary restraining order (or even better, her testimony at that hearing), then there is a good chance that you will come out ahead. But, again, you would be in a better position if you had an attorney handling it.


You need to talk to a criminal defense attorney in person about your case and do so in a confidential setting such as in their office or conference room. Aggravated assault is an indictable offense and carry with it severe penalties if convicted. You're also going to want to make sure NOT to discuss this matter further on this open forum or any other forum for that matter until speaking with an attorney about your case. Don't delay. There is a lot riding on the outcome of this case for you and your future.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented. Also, please be advised that any response to any comments made by the asker do not create an attonrey client relationship.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer