Can I press charges for Slander?

Nederland, TX |

My boyfriend's ex girlfriend went to my boyfriend's job and slandered him to his boss. The next day she called his job's corporate office anonymously and did the same thing. Can he press charges?

Pressing charges usually means criminal charges. Defamation issues are not criminal in nature, but rather civil. If he suffers an adverse job consequence as a result of slanderous comments, he should speak with a civil attorney about suing the ex-girlfriend.
Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

"Pressing charges" is used for a criminal matter, and defamation is civil.

He may have a claim for civil damages. The questions I would want to answer initially are whether he was harmed by the comments and whether she has the money to pay for that harm if he was. Feel free to have him call me at the number below.

Responses to questions asked on this internet forum are not intended to form an attorney-client relationship. These responses are intended as general information only, and are based upon the attorney's understanding of Texas law ONLY. Other jurisdictions may have different laws, or may interpret the laws of the jurisdiction differently. For a more detailed response, contact Todd Kelly at the Carlson Law Firm: 512-346-5688.

Agreed. Depending on what was said about him, there may be a basis for a lawsuit. Best bet is to talk to a lawyer. Good luck.

Know YOUR Rights. Take Action Now. CALL 855-648-4695. Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. Mr. Crockett is licensed in Texas in Illinois only.