Can I press charges for Slander?

Asked over 1 year ago - Nederland, TX

My boyfriend's ex girlfriend went to my boyfriend's job and slandered him to his boss. The next day she called his job's corporate office anonymously and did the same thing. Can he press charges?

1. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

5

Answered . Pressing charges usually means criminal charges. Defamation issues are not criminal in nature, but rather civil. If he suffers an adverse job consequence as a result of slanderous comments, he should speak with a civil attorney about suing the ex-girlfriend.
    Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Pro

4

Answered . "Pressing charges" is used for a criminal matter, and defamation is civil.

3. Lannie Todd Kelly

Pro

1

Answered . He may have a claim for civil damages. The questions I would want to answer initially are whether he was harmed by the comments and whether she has the money to pay for that harm if he was. Feel free to have him call me at the number below.

4. Brian Heath Crockett

Pro

Answered . Agreed. Depending on what was said about him, there may be a basis for a lawsuit. Best bet is to talk to a lawyer. Good luck.