Can I press charges for identity theft?

Asked about 3 years ago - Elmer, NJ

im entitled to money from ss for survivor benefits . my wife passed in 08.my rights were suspended 09. my aunt got custody of my daughter in 09,& tried to get a credit card under my daughter's ss but she was caught,& charged with a misdemeanor. when i went to get my ss check,i found out my aunt and uncle got a fake id with my name & they filed for the money thats legally mine. I did file a complaint with ss,havent heard anything since. i also found out they got the fake id from a check cashing company .so even though i filed a complaint with ss, can i still file a complaint with the police?,if not, since the check cashing place gave them the i.d., can i get the records from them and file a complaint with the police? what kind of charge will my aunt get since she is doing this again?

1. Mark M Cheser

Pro

Answered . You should go to your local police department and ask to speak with a detective. That officer will evaluate your case and contact the appropriate assit. prosecutor. There may be charges against the check cashing place too if the proofs are there. As far as a civil suit you would have to speak to an attorney who practices civil law. good luck.

2. Michael Ernest Doukas

Answered . Based on what you have said, it would be wise to seek legal counsel in NJ to review your allegations and advise you. You can usually get a referral from your local bar association's Lawyer Referral Service. It sounds as if filing a police report would be wise, or going directly to the District Attorney's Office in your state and filing a complaint.