Can I press charges for domestic violence 2 weeks later after i have moved away from the danger? Or charges for the unborn baby?

Asked over 3 years ago - Colorado Springs, CO

My bf came home drunk. For no reason related to me he smashed my head into the wall where the towel rack was so i had lumps on the back of my head and was throwing me around the bathroom so i had bruises from falling into the toilet. It has been almost 2 weeks and i only have the bruise from him punching me in the arm and my temple where it was hit against the wall. He smashed both of our phones so i couldnt call the police and when i got outside i started to run to a payphone but i tripped on the stairs and he caught me and took me back to the house... all of this while im 6 months pregnant. I wasnt sure i wanted to press charges when i finally got another phone. Now i am sure thats what i want to do.

1. Stephen Clark Harkess

Answered . You can contact the police and file a police report. The police will have to determine whether they will actually pursue charges. It is harder to successfully prosecute a crime that is not reported for two weeks after the incident. It is important to get a report filed.

2. V. Iyer

Answered . You can always file a report with the police. But remember once you file a police report there is no turning back. When the police investigate and file charges against your boyfriend he could be facing some very serious charges, especially if you were pregnant.

Also consider that the police may not proceed because you waited for 2 weeks. This goes to your credibility and believability.

You will have to explain why first you did not want to file charges; and now what has changed that you want to file charges. It appears that you had more than reasonable opportunities to file charges earlier than now.

You are not completely forthright as to your motivations in now seeking to file charges. This will be exploited by an domestic violence attorney defending your boyfriend.

Best of Luck