Can I press charges for domestic violence 2 weeks later after i have moved away from the danger? Or charges for the unborn baby?

Colorado Springs, CO |

My bf came home drunk. For no reason related to me he smashed my head into the wall where the towel rack was so i had lumps on the back of my head and was throwing me around the bathroom so i had bruises from falling into the toilet. It has been almost 2 weeks and i only have the bruise from him punching me in the arm and my temple where it was hit against the wall. He smashed both of our phones so i couldnt call the police and when i got outside i started to run to a payphone but i tripped on the stairs and he caught me and took me back to the house... all of this while im 6 months pregnant. I wasnt sure i wanted to press charges when i finally got another phone. Now i am sure thats what i want to do.

You can contact the police and file a police report. The police will have to determine whether they will actually pursue charges. It is harder to successfully prosecute a crime that is not reported for two weeks after the incident. It is important to get a report filed.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

You can always file a report with the police. But remember once you file a police report there is no turning back. When the police investigate and file charges against your boyfriend he could be facing some very serious charges, especially if you were pregnant.

Also consider that the police may not proceed because you waited for 2 weeks. This goes to your credibility and believability.

You will have to explain why first you did not want to file charges; and now what has changed that you want to file charges. It appears that you had more than reasonable opportunities to file charges earlier than now.

You are not completely forthright as to your motivations in now seeking to file charges. This will be exploited by an domestic violence attorney defending your boyfriend.

Best of Luck

This web site was created by this law firm so that you could learn more about the legal services that Iyer Law Office, LLC, offer. Although every effort is made to provide complete and accurate information, Iyer Law Office, LLC, makes no warranties, express or implied, or representations as to the accuracy or currency or reliability of the information herein. The laws change frequently and facts or circumstances are unique to each case. This website is for informational purposes or general educational purposes only and should not be used, acted upon, or relied upon without first consulting with Iyer Law Office, LLC, or another attorney to determine if and to what extent the information contained herein may apply to your specific case or circumstance. You should not act or rely on any information at this Web site without seeking the advice of an attorney. None of the information at this Web site is intended to constitute, nor does it constitute, legal advice. None of the information necessarily reflects the opinions of this Web site or its attorneys or clients. This Web site is not soliciting clients and does not propose any type of transaction. The determination of whether you need legal services and your choice of a lawyer are very important matters that should not be based on web sites or advertisements. In some cases, the attorney may associate with other attorneys in the handling of the client's case, whether as local counsel, trial counsel, co-counsel or any other capacity. An attorney-client relationship will continue with all such associated co-counsels and client(s). Any information that you send us in an e-mail message might not be confidential or privileged, and sending us an e-mail message will not create an attorney-client relationship. The information herein is not intended to create and does not create an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship with us cannot be formed by reading or acting upon the information herein. The only way to become our client is through a mutual Fee Agreement signed by the client and attorney and payment of our mutually agreed fees. If you are interested in having us represent you, you should call us so that we can determine whether the matter is one for which we are willing or able to accept professional responsibility. We will not make this determination by e-mail communication. The telephone numbers for our offices are listed in this Web site. We reserve the right to decline any representation. We may be required to decline representation if it would create a conflict of interest with our other clients. This Web site has tried to comply with all legal and ethical requirements in compiling this Web site. We do not want to represent clients based on their review of any portion of this Web site that does not comply with legal or ethical requirements. The information herein is not soliciting clients and does not propose any type of transaction. By using this information, you assume any and all risks associated with this use. This Web site might contain links to other resources on the Internet. Those links are to help you identify and locate other resources on the Internet. The links are not intended to state or imply that this Web site sponsors or is affiliated or associated in any way with the information at those other Web sites. To the extent that the professional responsibility rules of any jurisdiction require us to designate a principal office for this Web site, this Web site designates its office at 3333 South Bannock Street, Suite 330, Wells Fargo Building, Englewood, CO 80110. Iyer Law Office, LLC, expressly disclaims any liability for any special, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues, or lost profits, personal injury of any kind (including but not limited to any and all punitive damages) resulting from the use or misuse of the information contained herein.